Maldives Immigration starts complying with standard ICAO Annex 9, chapter 3.10.1. ( Maldives will only accept standard Machine Readable Passports. )

Stay In Maldives

Tourist Visa
Tourist visa is granted for all nationalities, on arrival to Maldives. This means, no prior visa is required to arrive to Maldives.

The maximum number of days granted on arrival would be 30 days. The thirty days is not for the passenger to claim, but lies at the discretion of the Immigration to grant any number of days less than or equal to 30. Read the section “Entry to Maldives”

If an extension is required, it maybe requested at the Head Office. The visa extension form is available at the Head Office and should not take more than two days, at the most, to process.

The extension would be charged MRF 750 for 60 days or part thereof. On a single entry the maximum number of given will be 90 days, including the free 30 days. Any extension within the 30 days would not be subjected to any charges.

Employment is prohibited on a tourist visa. Therefore, any tourist found working will be deported from Maldives.


Read the section “Entry to Maldives” for more information.

Resident Visa
Resident visa is granted to people with an Employment Approval (EA).

On arrival to Maldives, the employee should have a copy of the Employment Approval (EA) and also it should be declared in the Embarkation form.

Resident Permit for workers is an open ended visa which has no date of expiry, but is valid only with a valid Employment Approval (EA). Therefore, it is strongly cautioned to the resident permit holders to carry a valid Work Visa card at all times, failing upon which may face immediate removal from Maldives without any consultation with the employer.

A person who has entered Maldives on a tourist visa would not be given a Resident Permit, which means a person who is already in Maldives with a tourist visa has to re-enter Maldives with a valid EA to apply for a resident permit.

Dependent Visa
This is granted to wife, husband or children of foreigners having a Resident Permit with a valid Work Visa.

The Resident Permit holder should also fall into the work category, where dependents are allowed.

It is up to the Resident Permit holder to ensure that he or she belongs to this category.

This children applying for a dependent visa should be less than 18 years of age.

The Resident Permit holder should also have a no objection letter from the employer, when applying for dependent visa.

Dependents of Resident Permit holders can enter Maldives with a tourist visa, and apply to the Immigration for a dependent visa. Please see the list of requirements below.

Failure to change the category of visa and overstaying can result in the refusal of dependent visa and may face immediate removal. Therefore, it is strongly cautioned to apply for a dependent visa before the expiration of the tourist visa.

The dependent visa is charged MRF 750.00 for three months or part thereof.

Requirements for a Dependent Visa
Proof of Marriage (English Translation)
Children’s birth certificate (if passport is unavailable)
Letter of no objection from employer

Foreigners marrying Maldivians
Foreigners arriving in Maldives with the intention of marrying a Maldivian should inform the Immigration in writing, with details of the Maldivian counterpart, before arriving to Maldives.

The Maldivian counterpart should also inform the Immigration, in writing, the arrival of the foreigner and the intention to get married.

The foreigner would be given a tourist visa on arrival to Maldives and would grant a marriage visa once the marriage is registered with the relevant court of law.

The tourist visa should be extended until the marriage is registered, failure to do so may lead to removal from Maldives, and refused entry into Maldives until such time the marriage is registered.

Maldivians getting married to foreigners while in overseas.
The foreign spouse would be given a tourist visa on arrival to Maldives. A marriage visa would be granted once the marriage is registered in the relevant court of law in Maldives.

If the tourist visa expires before registration, the visa should be renewed. Failing upon which, the spouse may be asked to leave Maldives and remain abroad until such time the marriage is registered.

Cancellation of Marriage Visa
As soon as the marriage is nullified by the court of law and informed to the Immigration, the marriage visa will be cancelled. In such a situation, the Immigration will ensure that the foreign counterpart is granted with ample time to sort out his or her affairs.

Widow Visa
If a Maldivian man dies while married to a foreign woman, the foreign woman is entitled to a Widow visa. This widow visa will be revoked as soon as the woman remarries.

Maldives Immigration | Republic of Maldives.
Tel: (960)333 0444, (960)333 0430 Fax: (960) 332 0011, Email:
First Floor, Velaanage, Ameer Ahmed Magu, Malé