Marriage Visa is the permit to remain in the Maldives granted to a foreign national who is married to a Maldivian national.
A foreigner travelling to Maldives to marry with a Maldivian, or a foreigner who is married to a Maldivian and travels to Maldives to register their marriage in Maldives, shall be sponsored prior to the arrival. Sponsorship Declaration has to submitted online via IMUGA, the digital platform for immigration services.
After the arrival, the foreigner must complete the legal marriage process, and apply for Marriage Visa within the given period of 30 days. If the foreigner is already residing in the Maldives, visa transfer has to be made to Marriage Visa once the legal procedure of the marriage is completed.
Applying for Marriage Visa
The following documents are required to apply for Marriage Visa.
- Application for Permit Extension Form (IM23)
- Passport of the applicant
- Signature and seal from the Family Court in the application form
- Original and copy of Marriage Certificate
- Identity Card copy of the Maldivian national
- Passport size photo (Photo shall comply with Maldives Immigration passport photo standard and must be a recent photo)
- Visa card fee, MVR50
- Medical health screening report of the employee issued from a Hospital/Clinic authorized by the relevant government authority
Marriage Visa applications shall be submitted online via IMUGA. When the application is processed, submitter will be notified via the Portal, and will be given an appointment to submit the passport for visa.
Marriage Visa is issued for 1 year, if it is a new application. However, Marriage Visa extensions are issued to 5 years.