Tourist visa is granted for all nationalities on arrival to Maldives. As such, a foreigner travelling to Maldives as a tourist does not require pre-approval for the visa. However, the person must satisfy the basic entry requirements to get immigration clearance upon arrival.
The basic entry requirements are as follows;
- A passport or a travel document with Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) with at least 1 months validity.
- A pre-paid hotel booking/accommodation.
- Sufficient funds to last for the intended period of stay in Maldives.
- Confirmed onward/return tickets to home country or to country of residence (not applicable for valid resident permit holders).
- Entry facilities to their onward destinations; for example, the visa.
- Traveller Declaration must be filled in and submitted by all travelers travelling to and from Maldives, within 96 hours to the flight time. The form has to be submitted electronically via IMUGA.
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, if applicable. Click here to check the Yellow Fever endemic countries.
The maximum number of days granted on arrival would be 30 days, unless agreed by any bilateral means or treaty. This period of stay is not for the visitor to claim, but lies at the discretion of the Maldives Immigration to grant any number of days less than or equal to 30.
The period of stay granted is shown on the endorsement in the passport. Visitors are advised to check their passport for the arrival endorsement and take note of the number of days granted to stay in Maldives. Once arrived as a tourist, the visitor is not permitted to engage in any form of business, occupation, profession or paid employment while in Maldives.
Categories like; social visitors, friends, family visitors or media and business visitors, who are not considered as genuine tourists, are highly advised to declare sponsorship prior to their arrivals (if applicable), in order to facilitate the flow of passage.
All travelers are also reminded that it is a punishable offence to overstay in Maldives beyond the number of days given.