Work Visa is the permit issued for a foreigner to stay in Maldives for the purpose of employment.
A person traveling to the Maldives for the purpose of employment will be given 15 days from the date of arrival. In order to acquire this pre period, the foreign national should possess a valid Employment Approval, which does not exceed 90 days from date of issue. Moreover, the foreign national should provide the same passport on arrival for which the Employment Approval was issued. Re-entry on Employment Approval without obtaining a visa is possible unless the Employment Approval remains valid (within 90 days from date of issue).
Work Visa process include a medical check-up which needs to be completed from a permitted hospital/clinic, and health insurance should cover within this period to apply for work visa.
The consequences for not obtaining visa within the mentioned period results in penalization under the Immigration Act 1/2007, which include deportation from Maldives for overstaying.
The issuance of Work Visa service is decentralized and is provided from Male’ (Visa Division, Huravee Building, 3rd Floor, Orchid Magu), Hithadhoo Immigration Office (Addu City), Fuvahmulah Immigration Office (Fuvahmulah City) and Kulhudhuffushi Immigration Office (H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi).
Entry Requirements for Work Visa
- A machine readable (MRZ) Passport Bio-data page copy of the applicant (At least 1 Year validity)
- A valid Employment approval not exceeding 90 days from date of arrival
- Traveler should provide the same passport mention in the Employment approval
- Completed Disembarkation/Embarkation Card approved by Maldives Immigration
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, if applicable
Applying for Work Visa
The following documents are required to apply for Work Visa and the employer or a representative of the employer shall submit the application for visa.
- Passport of the employee
- Copy of the Employment Approval
- Work Visa card fee, MVR50
- Passport size photo (Photo shall comply with Maldives Immigration passport photo standard and must be a recent photo)
- Medical health screening report of the employee issued from a Hospital/Clinic authorized by the relevant government authority
- Work Visa submission receipt (IM29)
- Expatriate should be registered under the “Expatriate Medical Insurance” issued from Allied Insurance Company, before applying for visa.
- Work Visa fee should be paid for a minimum of 3 months from the date of submission of the application.
- The existing Employees while Returning to Maldives after been abroad must make sure their visa is valid or at least the Work permit should remain valid.