Maldives Immigration (MI) issues Work Visa (WV) based on the Employment Approval (EA). WV is an endorsement made on the Passport by MI permitting to stay and work in the Maldives.
WV will be issued from X-pat Online System (XPAT) and is conditional on the validity of EA.
If the validity of the passport is less than the validity of the EA, Work Visa will be issued up to the validity of the passport.
It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that the WV is in order and WV fee is paid on time. And the employee should make sure that his/her WV is valid.
Failure to renew WV would result in denial of entry / exit from the Border Control.
At arrival the employee will be granted 15 days to complete WV procedures. Within this 15 days the employer should;
- Complete Medical Health Screening of the employee from a Hospital/Clinic authorized by the relevant government authority.
- Insure the employee under the expatriate insurance policy
- Pay WV fee to Maldives Inland Revenue Authority (MIRA)
- Submit WV application to Maldives Immigration
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE APPLICATION OF WV
- Employment Approval Copy
- Medical report of employee issued from a Hospital/Clinic authorized by the relevant government authority.
- Original Passport of the employee
- One passport size photo (white back ground and the photo should not more than one month old)
- WV application form (IM25)
- WV submission receipt (IM29)
- WV Card fee (MVR 50.00)
LOST WV CARD
If the employee’s WV Card is lost the employer must submit for WV Card followed by same procedure as WV application.
The forms (IM25 and IM29) along with the previous WV Card have to be submitted along with the application.
WORK SITE / OCCUPATION CHANGE
If the employee’s Work Site / Occupation are changed the employer must submit for WV followed by same procedure as WV application.
The forms (IM25 and IM29) along with the previous WV have to be submitted along with the application.
- WV fee will start accumulating from the date of arrival of the employee.
- WV fee has to be paid to Maldives Inland Revenue Authority (MIRA).
- WV Fee is MVR 750/- (per 3 months or part of 3 months)
- WV applications will be processed within working 3 days.
- For applications of WV, 100 tokens will be issued from 8:00am to 11:30am (Sunday to Wednesday).
- For collections of WV token numbers will be issued from 08:00 to 11:30am (Sunday to Thursday).
- Thursdays are specialized for WV applications of Cooperatives, Companies and Government Institutions appointment basis.